Saturday, February 21, 2009

Nationals

I ran in the Canadian National Snowshoe Championships today. I came in last in the 10k event. However I did beat my December time by about 13 minutes! I ran it in 1:23:22. I`d had this plan to run to trance music but about 20 minutes in my MP3 player ran out of juice. I think if I have it charged up for the Mad Trapper finals in two weeks I`ll be under 1:20:00. That`s going to be my goal - sub 1:20:00. Bear in mind a snowshoe 10k is harder than a trail 10k which is harder than a road 10k.

In some bad news, I broke one of my trail runners. A plastic clip on the alternative style lacing system broke. One near the top and now they cannot be cinched down to the foot. I don`t see a way to fix it so I guess my Salomons just became my new around the yard sneakers. It`s a shame, I had grown fond of those shoes after a rocky start .

In some good news I now get to enter the challenge phase of the HAD. Tomorrow I start in on the dairy products. Thursday I`ll bring back the nightshade group and next Monday gluten. A few days after that and it`s full on toxicity. That means coffee, real tea and beer!

The third week of the HAD was not so good. I`ve gotten more used to the strict diet and I`m finding more and more palatable food combinations but the side effects are freaking me out. I may have mentioned in week two that I was getting dry skin. Well in week three I have been feeling generally dry and stiff all over. I`m not a flexible guy to start with but this last week has been ridiculous. I`ve been eating myself into the poor house with the almonds and olive oil and I am drinking the 8 glasses of water a day but it all seems to pass through me without being absorbed. Hot yoga last night helped some.

I think I will do the HAD or some variation thereof again in the future periodically but only for a week or two at a time. It`s not comfortable but I think it does give the digestive system a rest and the body a chance to repair itself some. Sort of like how you keep your house clean but every now and then you would like to have a few extra days off work to really clean stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 hr 20 mins was my time for 5.2 kms on Sunday (with maybe a little break at the 3 km mark) on snowshoes in on the Hay Marsh Loop - the first 2 kms straight down the lake, then 1km over the portage trail and then 2.2kms basically straight cross country for geocache #2 on the day. Came back on the trail at that point and followed some previous day snowshoe tracks to the next 2 geocache sites - blindly followed them even when they strayed from the trail and made a bushwack across some dense country. I gave up on my planned #5 for time reasons (I think my GPS was messed up for a while because there's no way #5 was as far away as it was telling me it was - in fact I think I was fairly close to it after looking at the map - or maybe I put in the wrong coordinates - thats happened before). Got a little nervous when I came across the spent shotgun shells and relatively fresh blood drop trail .... hahaha - anyway ended up with 15kms in 3 hrs 44 mins walking time (4.0kmh) + another 2 hrs stopped time - once again I was draggin' my butt back across the lake - hahaha.... at least my back didn't hurt that day! Still a couple more I'll have to go back for while I can still walk the lake and not have to do the 25 - 30 kms overland....

Ken said...

You be careful on the lakes. Mom`ll never forgive me if you go through the ice.