Thursday, June 3, 2010

Feeble attempts to not waste my entire life

The silver lining to my hellishly long commute is that I am reading a lot of books on he bus.Some are better than others but there have been a few I would recommend. Meeting the Invisible Man, The Art of Racing in the Rain and Long Way Gone. None of them are heavy reading but for me at least all were thought provoking. Long Way Gone in particular I would recommend to to the socially or politically minded, Meeting the Invisible Man to adventure travellers and The Art of Racing in the Rain to dog owners.

I'm currently reading the Friends of Killarney Park trail guide to the La Cloche Silhouette Trail. It's also easy reading and has helped me decide that if I go it will be later in the summer. I had been thinking about early July but there arose a conflict with a potential Dave Brubeck concert at the Ottawa Jazz fest. Reading in the trail guide that bugs remain a problem until mid July I've decided that if I go on the hike at all I'll go late July or August. Travelling in the high heat opens up the possibility of trying to ultralight the trail - do the whole thing fast and light in trail runners and sleeping under my rain poncho which also seems suited to hiking solo. This is also the busiest time of year on the trail and according to the guide it can be difficult to book sites so even if I solo the trail it sounds like I would have lots of company.

Although it looks like if I want to get the time off work I'll have to quit my job. But that also applies to trying to get time off to do some preliminary work on the farmland.And of course the whole lifestyle question of work to live or live to work? Right now I am living to work. But then there are bills to pay. I'm going to have to sleep on it one more time.

1 comment:

BEP said...

Khalehla read Long Way Gone - thought it was a great book - so I read it too and then suggested it to John-Eric, who also read it. I'm trying to remember if thats the one where she met the author and got the book signed - I think it was - he was giving a talk at Dalhousie.

Check out "The Swallows of Kabul" also.