Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cider Quest 2010 progress report

I've tried a couple of more ciders recently. The Boss and I shared a 4 pack of Wapoos cider which is a local Ontario product made in the County of Prince Edward. I liked it when chilled but the Boss found it to be beery for her taste.

On the weekend we went to a local Pub to scope t out as a potential place to catch a World Cup game or six, Cuchulain's by name. I tried the Blackthorn cider they had on draft but I was glad it was the Boss who had ordered the pint. I didn't care for it at all. Too sharp with no reward. But the real find was that not only do I have a Mary Brown's franchise 400 yards down the road but if I go in the other direction for $2 extra I can get savoury dressing and gravy on my fries! Now if they would just put some Black Horse on tap I could break out my Doyle jersey and get fugly. Just kidding. I don't have any Doyle house clothes anymore.

Given the delicious combination of Fuller's, perogies and NFL at the Franklin Pourhouse I'm going to have to check out the Cock and Pheasant to see what surprises they might have in store for me. It's kind of shocking anyway that I have a British style pub a three minute walk from the house that I've not shown my patronage but to be honest the place scares me a bit because the parking lot is regularly full of empty beer bottles. Which I presume are dropped by the patrons getting primed on the drive over to the pub. But then I didn't think Cider Quest 2010 would be all sunshine and roses.

Results so far :
1. Wapoos
2. Bulmer's
3. Blackthorn (draft)

2 comments:

BEP said...

I can send you a Doyle House jersey if you want - you might even fit into it still ..........

Ken said...

Somehow I don't think the Boss would approve :)