Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cider Quest 2010: Progress Report 2

I’ve got five more ciders to add to the sampled list: Cracked Apple, Grower’s Peach, Magner’s, Peeler Premium Light, and Williams. Nine ciders in I’ve come to the conclusion that cider’s come in two basic forms - ones that try to be as beer-like as possible and ciders that try to be crisp. I prefer the crisp ones because from what I’ve seen the beer imitator’s would do better to just be beer.

My current rankings are:

1. Cracked Apple
2. Grower’s Peach
3. Peeler Premium Light
4. Wapoos
5. Williams
6. Bulmer’s
7. Blackthorn
8. Magner’s

Sadly, the Cracked Apple has been discontinued. Only seven bottles remain I the province. 3 in Bala, 3 in Petawawa and one in Portland. None of which I will be anywhere near anytime soon.

Happily, Grower’s has a variety of flavours of cider so I will have to see if the LCBO carries a variety pack. And I’ll want to check the other county cider brewing company offerings. And I’ve heard a rumour about some offering from La belle provence…

Some of you may have noticed the absence of that most ubiquitous of ciders, Stongbow, from my list. I drank Strongbow once a long time ago. I see no need to go back. Unless I’m really feeling depressed and it’s free.

9. Strongbow

No comments: