Monday, May 31, 2010

The dirt on soil

On Saturday I went to the McVean farm in Brampton to do a course called The Dirt on Soil offered by the Farm Start program. It was my first course as I figure from the ground up is a good place to start. I learned a lot and I'm looking forward to getting out to the land this summer and implementing what I've learned. It will be neat to know what kind of soil we have and what we can do with it.

The fields haven't been farmed in years so I'm counting that as cover cropping and hope to get all that mulched in later this summer or in the fall. Not sure if I want to hire a farmer to do it for me this year or to buy a tractor and implements so I can do it myself. Of course I'd rather do it myself but then I would have to store the tractor all winter.

It seems that getting healthy soil is going to be a lot of work but that it will pay off in the long run. So it's just like everything else.

I've started my cider quest. My first sampling was Bulmer's Cider and an uninspired selection it was. It tastes like a fizzy drink you might give to kids who can't handle actual soft drinks. Although due to the alcohol content I do not officially recommend this course of action.

1 comment:

Bryn said...

Let a farmer do it first time around. I'm guessing it would save a lot of time and effort and give you more time to shop for a tractor?