Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Back in the saddle

For those of you who have not guessed I've been off the Paleo diet for about a month now.Pizza, beer, potato chips, chocolate bars and sugary snacks galore and I've dicovered something. I've decided to go back to the Paleo diet b ut in all honesty I donot recommend you try it.

The Paleo diet is ike an expensive bike or fine whiskey - it makes what you once thought was good intollerably bad. There is no joyously riding aound on your Raleigh bike with a bottle of JD in your pocket after you've cruised down to the liquor store on your Cervelo to pick up a bottle of JW Blue. And essentially thats what has happened to me - the S.A.D. diet is the Supercycle of the dietary world - cheap and convient aand better than walking but the ride is shit if you know any better.

The conclusion I've reached is that I still like my sweets but they are not worth the general feeling of malaise that I didn't even realize I was feeling before. I used to blame city life and a lack of caribou meat and apparently I was half right. Grain fed beef and farm salmon is nutritionally no substitute for wild caribou and salmon.

So I'm going back to the Paleo diet but with some adjustments. Mainly I'm tossing out the no indegenous American plants and just eliminating the foods that have a scientific reason why they cause problems. Basically potatoes are back on my plate. I'm also keeping coffee and will allow an occaisional cheat for beer on social occaisions. I'll try to stick to wine and mead and running to wash away the occaisional waves of depression that are the legacy of urban life. The Big Smoke is NOT a bike friendly place so the urge to ride is not very strong here - tinged as it is with a feeling of the suicidal.

2 comments:

Don Wiss said...

How about hard cider when in a bar? They usually should have it bottled. And in the UK they will have it on tap. Poured in a glass it will look somewhat like beer. It just lacks a head. And smells fruity.

My only complaint with wine is the alcohol content I consider too high. So I put ice in all of it. Even better with red, as starting warm it will melt the ice more.

As I explain in my definition 6% alcohol is about as high as can be found in nature. Wine is double that.

Ken said...

I'm not a huge fan of hard cider generally but I have found a few I liked and they are on the menu.

I figure coffee and alcohol are two dietary vices I can moderate but not realistically eliminate.

Some people could. But I'm not one of them.

In fact, a summer quest to find my favourite cider might just be the distraction I need to forget the sticky buns...