Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Morning Rain

I’ve often said that camping in the rain is more like work than fun. Now that I’m back to work I think I might have to eat those words.

On Physh camp I woke up to the bladder alarm in the hours before the dawn, the sound of steady rain drumming on the tent, visions of my breath and knowing full well that my tauntaun would likely freeze before I reached the first marker. Right now I’d have to say I’d take that start any day over this morning – waking to the radio alarm (purposely set to an annoying morning show) to get ready and head out for another day at the office.

Sure, there is something to be said for being warm, dry and well fed but apparently it’s not everything. I appear to be living in the progress paradox (see: The Progress Paradox: How Life Gets Better While People Feel Worse by Gregg Easterbrook). The crux of the idea is that all the comforts money can buy will not provide satisfaction.

It’s no secret that I’m not a fan of the sprawl that is the Big Smoke and since I’m here for the foreseeable future so I think I need to pilfer an idea from Tenacious V. I need to try to shrink the sprawl by only every using a tiny corner of it. At least limit myself to Mississauga. A suburban warping of her metropolitan idea that I’m sure would have Tenacious V cringing. But really, thanks to the vision and longevity of the mayor Mississauga is on a path to become a city of its own someday (hire me!).

So the conclusion I have reached is that I need to stop pussyfooting around find a new job, something closer to home and something where I can learn new skills. It will mean drop in income that the Boss won’t like. For my part it probably means no long hikes again this year :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-community/finding-real-wealth-from-a-consumer-culture-to-social-well-being.aspx