Friday, February 5, 2010

Week 5

I totaled up the January receipts the other day. The Paleo-diet cost about 25% more than the SAD diet. The grocery bill is higher but not being able to eat out, order in or make impulse snack purchases goes a long way to equalizing the expenses. All in all for the way I feel I'm pretty convinced that Canada’s food guide to healthy eating is a page torn from the Necronomicon. Summoned from the very bowels of hell to inflict suffering on mankind. Maybe that explains all the zombies?...

I suppose the science worshipers would try to say we have learned so much since then but the reality is the nutrition people already knew better when the food guide was created. Our food pyramid is more a reflection of the fact that the prairies are no good for growing vegetables than any interest in keeping the population healthy. Now that the prairies are awash in black gold maybe it's time to spread the love and give up on the fallacy of grains as people food?

The week 5 numbers:

………………….......……Shmuck……….Athlete
Weight……………….........191.8……….191.6
Body fat %.....................20.4…………12.5
Water %.........................54.1…………58.2
Muscle Mass…….....……..145.0………159.2
Basal Metabolic Rate..…2023……….2203
Metabolic Age………......…36……………14
Bone Mass…………….........7.6………..…8.2

In five weeks I have lost 12.5 pounds, about half fat and half muscle. I’m a bit surprised at the muscle loss since it’s not like I am starving myself nor have a low protein intake. I’m never hungry and I’m probably eating more protein now than I have in a long time what with all the nuts and steaks and eggs and pork chops and jerky and chicken and turkey and roasts and bacon. I guess if I was doing some regular exercise it would be better. I also notice no loss in bone density despite not touching the dairy products that are supposed to ensure healthy bones.

BTW - had coffee this week. It did cause some mild discomfort but it was worth it. The big test is coming in 2 days.

No comments: