Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sounding British

Is it just me or are the olympics getting worse every time? And I'm not refering to the chainlink fences or the potentially toxic snow preserving chemicals or the failed grandstands. I'm referring to how we react to the olympics as a nation. Since when did Canada become such a nasty country? Or is putting our nastiness on display a good thing for it's honesty?

I try to avoid Olympic coverage when I can but like Christmas it's not possible to avoid it completely. What is bothering me is the obsession with medals, medals, medals. The early coverage was all about how we aren't winning enough medals. Failure, waste of money and all that. Now it's all about the golds. Even Rex is not immune - on cross country check up this week the question is "if the men fail to win olympic hockey gold make this olympics a failure?"

At least when I was a kid Canada was proud of you just for being an Olympic athlete and the guys in the orange blazers would rave about a 12th place finish if it was a personal best or Canadian record. Do they still do that? Or is the depressed/angry highlight coverage about our inability to emulate Australia in 2000 representative of the regular programming?

Personally, our record gold medal haul is not making me proud to be a Canadian. I'm just saddened about how we seem to be adopting all the worst traits of our chest thumping southern neighbours.

No comments: