Thursday, November 10, 2011

You'll just have to trust me

I forgot my camera at home so there are no photos yo upload at the moment but the bunkie is coming along nicely. The roof is on and the windows are almost in. I should have the windows finished and the door hung before I leave tomorrow and maybe even a temporary install of the wood stove. So all is well as the remainder of what I want to do is interior work .

Te Boss discovered a bee supply shop in Tweed so I went over there to day to buy some bottles and had a good chat with the owner operator. He has twelve hives himself and said my winter preparations sound good but recommended I keep feeding them sugar syrup all winter.

The unpredictability of recent winters has caused a lot of problems for the beekeepers. Sometimes winter goes on too long but the worst are the unseasonably warm spells. Apparently when it gets warmish the bees like to get out and stretch their wings etc. and this means they eat a lot more than when it's just continuous bitter cold.

Good to know anyway, I'll bring up some fresh syrup next visit for sure. After all, a man's gotta take of his girls.

OH the bee supplier's link for anyone interested:

http://www.busybeebeekeepingsupplies.ca/

PS: I'm totally jealous of his work shed, which smells like warm beeswax.

No comments: