Thursday, November 17, 2011

Doing without

For many a long year now I've thought of my microwave as essential. Of the many things I thought I could do without the microwave oven was not one of them. Just too much convenience to go back. And this from someone who eschews those frozen "instant meals" as too little nutrition per dollar spent.

This summer we moved from a too huge house to a human sized house which just served to further illustrate that we have way too much stuff. Way too much. One of the temporary sacrifices I made was to not set up the microwave. The kitchen is full of kitchen stuff. Over full. The dining room is full of boxes, mostly books. The living room is full of furniture and boxes of miscellaneous. In the end there was no surface on which to put our 1984 era microwave so it's just sitting in the garage. I assumed this would be temporary as what kind of freak could survive in 2011 without a microwave? The unibomber maybe? The Amish?

Well it turns out that I haven't missed the microwave enough in the last four months to bother setting it up. Weird. Really weird.

But I guess it shouldn't be. One of the things I learned on the bike tour was that stuff, especially convenience stuff is not something I really missed when it was not around. The one thing that comes to mind as a thing I've missed when it's not available is a BBQ.

1 comment:

v said...

They say humans are the only animals that adapt their environment to them as opposed to adapting to their environment. Way to live against the grain, K. I could, and have, lived without a microwave. Leftovers can be warmed up in the oven or over the stove. But there's some kitchen stuff I'd honestly struggle to live without. Heaven help the person who tries to convince me I don't NEED a bread toasting device to be happy. What would I put my eggs on? Good luck as you continue the adaptation to less space :)