Thursday, January 6, 2011

The second quote

"What is money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do." – Bob Dylan

The Cynic in me suspect that Bob was probably evading a question about a fortune amassed from a string of highly successful albums when he said said it but it's still my dream.

I accept that some money will be needed as long as we have a society to maintain (vote Libertarian!) but I would like to get to a place where I don't need to buy anything. Or at least not much. Most of the people around me seem to have disdain for this idea on the basis that it's a harder life to do for yourself rather than continue to exploit the third world serfs that make our lives so easy. To them (not the serfs, the people around me) the quote might mean when you're rich enough you can do what you want. I used to think like that too but now I see it differently. Now I equate freedom with independence like the old pioneers of the western movies I so enjoy. As long as I am dependent on those third world serfs and the oil and bureaucracy that is used to allow me to profit at a distance I can never truly be free. The more dependent on "the system" I am the more I have to suffer the whims of decision makers who know (and presumably care) nothing of me. So in a nutshell, the land, is all about the Boss and I gaining more freedom through more independence through hard work. and the satisfaction that come with it. Maybe It'll get old fast but I want to find out.

Last night we took blatant advantage of the luxuries of Canadian society and descended into the Big Smoke once again this time to meet up with friends at the Sultan's Tent. a bit more than I usually spend on a restaurant (bear in mind I'm a real cheapskate) but the 4 course meal was good - every course - and the belly dancing was pretty cool too. I recommend it if you ever find yourself in the downtown with money to burn looking for something different. It's only about a 5 minute walk from Union station, maybe less?

www.thesultanstent.com/

No comments: