Friday, March 26, 2010

Something's gotta give

I've been counting cars while I stand at the bus stopfor two weeks now and it's works out to a fairly steady average of about four percent of automobiles have more than one adult in them. The worst day I've counted is one percent but there have been a couple of days that have gotten as high as six percent. One day I even saw a vehicle with four adults in it! But it look slike 90% of "carpoolers" are husband and wife.

Given last ummer, presumably again this summer huge amounts of stimulus spending will be spent on road construction I think it might be time that we as Canada stop talking about climate change. It's time to put on the black hat and tell the hippies to find a new country if they want to preserve the environoment because 96 percent of Canadians are not willing to make even minor sacrifices. They want their luxury. And more. Right now. (And if Canada gets warmer in the bargain how can that be bad?)

Well I've been reading this brutally technical book of researcvh papers called "Farming in a Changeing Climate" that does a lot of climate modeling and looks at how agriculture has adapted to climate changes in the past. According to this book the climate models suggest Canada will get steadily warmer and dryer in the coming decades. First crop yeilds will go down and prices will go up. Then we'll switch crops until eventually areas like southern and eastern Ontario, the Maritimes, Quebec, and B.C. will have to move to marijuana feilds and Meth labs for the foundation of their economies. OK so it's not much of a change for B.C and it is 50 years away.

My problem is that like all climate change models for public consumption the book ignores one of the big observations of past climate changes and that has become the second elephant in the room (is it just me or is the room getting crowded). The first elephant is the well known idea that there are way too many humans on earth to be accomadated by our current economic system. The second elephant was once disscussed openly but is now considered too scary for public consumption - it is that observation of past climates indicates that climates do not change gradually over a period of 1000 or even 100 years. Climate factors reach a tipping point and the change happens in a couple of decades. Maybe less.

All this too say maybe I can get a job on a road crew this summer? Get me some of that stimulus money before we reach the tipping point and it all comes undone at the seams. I'll wait for it to become legal before I become a Pot farmer so I'll be so far behind the 8-ball and it'll probably be pointless. And I just don't feel good about getting in on the Meth market before I really have to.

No comments: