Thursday, October 1, 2009

The long and winding road

Even the road to the start point of the road can have many twists and turns. I’ve already been diverted from the AT to the Camino. Now it look like the financing has evaporated for the time being.

We bought land. Nice land and lots of it. At a good price even. But this means no Camino in 2010. Three months of leave without pay plus the expense of the trip is no longer financially viable.

I’ve got mixed feelings. I’m very glad to get the land now and at this price but I’m a bit sad that I’m going to have to delay my big trip by at least a year. I am still determined to go on a long distance hike (or two) it’s just that the time lines are changing.

So now I’m looking at 2011. That’s not too bad – the next oil crisis is only predicted for 2012 and even that assumes a swift global economic recovery. So in 2011 things should still be affordable.

For 2010 I will need to come up with something smaller. Less expensive and that will fit into my paid vacation time. Probably another go at La Cloche Silhouette. Or possibly the Adirondack Trail that I was going to try this fall but that got derailed by my imminent transfer to the GTA (which happens this weekend BTW).

On the bright side I should be in for a Physh Camp 2010! I'm looking at a return to the Booth Lake area maybe around the first weekend of May.

No comments: