Monday, July 20, 2009

Monkish Luxury

After reading the start of the book I'm pretty much convinced that I want to do the Camino this spring and I think I've settled on a three pronged approach to assuage my concerns about dodging the deprivation of the AT for the luxuries of the European tourist industry.

Step one: go early spring rather than late spring. 2010 is a holy year of St James so I should expect the trail to be crowded with throngs of pilgrims. The best way to avoid that is to go in the off season or the shoulder season. The weather is cooler (snow is possible!) and the boots on the ground are much thinner. The downside that for me is an upside is that a lot of tourist sites and pilgrim refuges and such are still closed. This means that there will be a bit more roughing it, finding a place to buy food and a decent place to sleep will be a bit more haphazard.

Step two: no boots on the ground. I'd like to get off the freighter in Barcelona and wear the "gloves for your feet" all the way to Santiago. I wonder how many pairs it will take? The sole is kind of thin.

Step three: a small backpack. 20 litres capacity? The idea is to enforce a minimalist approach on myself. The thought is that since shelters do exist and food can be bought regularly, by using a very light pack I will be able to push on if conditions insist. In that way I will be able to just carry what I really need and still maintain a level of safety. The AT will require a lot more gear to maintain that level of safety.

I have no interest in dying of exposure. Or even coming close to dying for that matter. Just enough discomfort to remind me to appreciate the everyday luxuries of home will suit me just fine.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

Sounds rather exciting and adventurous, especially crossing the "pond" on a freighter.

A suggestion, 20L bag would be pretty small. I would say you want something between 28L and 40L, but no more than 40L. You can find some good 30L bags out there and for a decent price too.

Buy merino wool tops ... can wear them for multiple days and no odour!