Thursday, July 16, 2009

Biggest Day Ever Anniversary

One year ago today I rode my biggest one day total 194.73 kms. Mostly in the rain and against a headwind. I slept well that night.

On Monday I discovered the new bike commute is about 1:40 minutes and closing in on 40 kilometers. Bear in mind when you look at that time the traffic lights when on the roads and the crazy heavy pedestrian traffic on the bike paths around Ottawa. You can't really go fast or build up a decent rhythm when commuting in this town. I figure that's too much time to do it every day but I am going to try to do it a couple of times a week. Maybe Bike in, bus home, bus in, bike home.

Yesterday I went for a run. My first run in too long. 45 minutes, not sure how many kilometers but my quads are not my friends today. I'm still at a level of fitness where I burn out my legs but my cardio is fine. It's funny that I'm undisguisably fat and I've got none of the strength I had and yet despite months of not using it I still have decent cardio. Good cardio seems to be a lasting effect of the 11,000+ kilometers I rode in 2008.

Just for badness I did the run in my new Five Fingers Sprint shoes, also known as "gloves for your feet". For those who do not know what "gloves for your feet" are here is a picture:



It's like walking around barefoot minus the cutting, burning, puncturing and fungal sensations. And, so far at least, I haven't been refused service in a restaurant while wearing them. To date I've mostly run on the treadmill in the Five Fingers but there were good for running out doors too. Even the short stretches of concrete. Most of my run yesterday was on grass where the shoes give surprisingly good traction.

No comments: