Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Dawn



December 2008 was a month of unprecedented gluttony for me in which I literaly ate myself sick. Sick to the point of having to take time off work. Needless to say I am fatter now than at any time in my life, just 3 short months after an 11,000 km bicycling season. If I am going to hike 3500 kms in 2010 I am going to have to change direction. To this end 2009 will be a year of aesthetic living such as I have never before attempted.

For starters I will be foregoing my usual "caffeine free January" as it will be replaced with a January of diet normalization. Eating the leftovers and clearing the cupboards of my "regular foods". In February starting the day after the Superbowl (!) for 6 weeks I will be adopting a hypoallergenic-low glycemic index diet strictly following the Canada food guide proportions (by weight) for middle aged men. This is a period of cleansing to boost my immune system. If it goes well I will do it again right before the AT. So from February 2nd, 2009 to March 15th 2009 I will be unable to accept dinner invitations. I'll probably be pretty grouchy anyway...
After the cleansing I want to sit myself down and re-evaluate foods based on my experiences from the diet. I'm pretty sure I also want to increase the portion of raw foods to at least half my calorific intake. My goal is a lean 175 pounds by the end of the Adirondack Trail (CDN Thanksgiving). If I don't meet that goal then I'm going to get stupid.

Oh yeah, and I'm going to cut my stemu ration to $100 for 2009. Considering the number of canoe and hiking trips I have in mind for 2009 this may not be as easy as it sounds. That said, after rationing myself one stemu per day for 2008 I never came close to my limit despite an eleven week long trip. This year, in order to account for multiple platforms, I am going with a dollar based system.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am confused, what is a stemu ration?

As for 175, nice number. It is the same one I picked after deciding I would aim to lose 10% of my body weight which will be easy with the extra tire I carry around my gut.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand ...... if I see it... and I want it.... I eat it. If I ever see a nice round 200 again I'd probably be satisfied - I might even be satisfied with 210 - hahaha

Ken said...

A stemu is a smoke.

We`ll burn a few pounds off you on the Adirondack trail big brother :)