Saturday, May 5, 2012

Science Fiction



When you say science fiction many, perhaps most, people think of lasers and space aliens and not much else. But good science fiction is so much more, and less. I just watched an excellent science fiction movie with neither lasers nor space aliens - Moon.
It was brought to my attention by the ECJ who also told me that he couldn't tell me what happens just that it was worth watching. I agree, so I'm not going to tell you about the movie just that is very good. What makes it good is that it makes you think – as a bonus its well done from a technical standpoint as well.
It's a shame really that we can't have two different names for the different types of science fiction. Its unfortunate that movies like Independence Day and Moon are lumped together as science fiction when aside from the setting one is an action movie and the other a... not an action movie. But I guess you could say the same thing for other genres like war movies and westerns to name a few some are mindless fun and some have something to say. I think there is a place for both I just want an easy (lazy) way to differentiate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats up with the small font ?

Ken said...

I'm using Open office now and the cut and paste into blogger doesn't seem to be as smooth. I'm going to have to be more careful checking on formatting.