Friday, May 27, 2011

On the land

I was working at the garden yesterday and I'll be back at it day. Digging in the muddy ground alternating between rain showers and blazing hot sun. You know when the transition is coming because the mosquitoes and black flies fight through the bath of toxic chemicals to swarm you.

Later today I'll head back to the Big Smoke, my hands will be a bit raw and my back a bit achy. I'll be itchy with fly bites and so dirty and smelly I'll hardly be able to sit in the cab with myself.

The crazy thing is the oppressive dread will hit me by Scarborough. The elation of physical work and the high of mother nature will be replaced by the dread of the sterile, lifeless world I'll be descending back into - the city. Parks don't cut it and a back yard garden is only half an escape. It's still a world of noise and angles, where instead of the earth you just have dirt. No place for a human.

The comedian I heard on CBC's the debaters the other day gave me a chuckle with his opening . The debate was should canadians love or abandon the cottage life and his opening gambit about summed it up: "I have to convince Canadians to abandon the cottage? This is stupid. After the show I'll be in the parking lot telling you all to give up hockey and donuts."

To finish on another quote: "It's funny because it's true."

No comments: