Friday, February 11, 2011

A better winter

I must say I am liking this winter in the 'Saug much better than my first winter here. Not only am I not spending my free time on a Go Bus stuck in rush hour traffic but we have snow and cold. My northern roots have left me with this idea that you need snow and cold to have a good winter.

Snow is what makes winter activities doable. Skiing, snowshoeing, skidooing (yeah, not snowmobiling) and building stuff like forts! And without cold the snow quickly becomes dirty mush not good for much of anything.

If you just have cold and no snow, well, that's not much fun. It's like summer only with padding. Not that I don't enjoy a nice crisp autumn day but it's not winter.

Anyway the recent cold snap has reminded me that I don't have any good winter boots/shoes. I've been wearing my chainsaw boots with my thickest wool socks in them and it's been serviceable but not great. I have to go in for a warm when working on the land more than I should. But soon it will be winter clearance time and I will go look for some cheap lined boots or high shoes for next ear's use.

One of the few benefits of consumerism is that if you can hold out for two weeks the stuff you need goes on sale to make room for the junk you might want for 4 months from now.

No comments: