Monday, December 6, 2010

Asset or Liability?

I watched the Doczone on CBC last week, well the first part. The superior attitude made me turn it off. It got my thinking about why does the mainstream media (MSM) always seem to ridicule the survivalist community? I should mention the episode was all about laughing at the nut-jobs preparing for the latest end of the world date - 2012. Or at least that is what it seemed like to me.

So why is that? Is it meant to comfort the mob? An attempt to reassure people that the government has everything under control despite all the Cassandra's in science and economics chirping about looming disasters? In the MSM there appears to be overwhelming support for the three day emergency kit but scorn for a three week or three year preparedness plan. In the event of a massive breakdown or even a localized Katrina-like disaster would you be an asset or a liability to your community?

In my real life I’m not losing a lot of sleep over the world coming to and end in 2012 but I do accept that our society (Western Christendom or global village, take your pick) is no more invincible than societies of the past. Some of which have collapsed in spectacular fashion so if some people need an imminent date like December 21st, 2012 as motivation to become more prepared or self sufficient I’m all for it and a responsible MSM would be too.

No comments: