Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bread and circuses

We’re all familiar with the old roman quote about the bread and circuses. My recent gluten experiences say this may be truer than even they realized. Basically I have come to the conclusion that foods containing gluten should be reserved for periods when they are needed to avoid starvation. Having been largely gluten free for several months now and while I am pretty certain I’m not celiac I can definitely feel the difference when I eat something with gluten in it (most recently a too tempting piece of birthday cake). A difference that lasts for a couple of days. And it’s not a good kind of difference.

My point is that while grains are wonderful for their ability to be stored between the gluten and the acidification they should not really be a first second or third choice on the menu. Their chief benefits are for the elites in a centralized reciprocity social system and for populations that periodically risk starvation. So for those who consider the Paleo-diet to be too XXXetremeXXX I recommend taking a month off from gluten. Some of you may be surprised.

Of course you’ll benefit at least from the near elimination of processed foods that is caused by gluten. Of course, you could buy the needlessly overpriced gluten free processed food if you really hate cooking.

No comments: