Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A search for meaning

It occurred to me that I don't really know what those numbers off the scale mean so I decided to be industrious and look them up. For a man of my advanced years a healthy body fat would be 11-17% - on the low end of that range if I wanted to call myself fit. My current water content should be 57%, anything less and I’m dehydrated. So far I’m fat and dehydrated which goes a long way to explaining the next result.

The Metabolic age is the age of a healthy person in your condition. At my age I want it to be lower than my actual age - 39 is not.

I also calculated an adjusted for frame size BMI using elbow width measurements. That too says I am overweight at 27.13. To get my BMI down to the heavy side of the healthy range I need to lose 20 pounds. That’s 10% of my body weight. If I can manage to exclusively lose fat that should lower by body fat percentage to 11%.

So the maximum healthy BMI is the same as my minimum acceptable body fat? Is it just me or does this seem odd? The only answer I can come up with is that for a large framed, physically active, adult male human I am at the maximum healthy muscle content. If I was any more muscular than I am now it would be bad for me.

It sure isn’t my hair tipping the scales…

No comments: