Saturday, March 28, 2009

String (and Map) Theory

I have plotted the reserved campsites on the Killarney trail map. I based my reservations on quality recommendations from the dude at the Friends of Killarney site. The end result looks a bit uneven in terms of distances but apparently none of the early sites are very impressive. So I decided to check the distances for each day to help with planing and expectations.

The best way to measure trail distances on a map is to use a piece of string. You follow the winding trail with the string and mark it at each end. Then you can measure the string and compare it to the map scale. It`s still pretty rough but it`s better than trying to count squares.

So here are my results with some contour comments:

Day One: 22km that starts off with a bit of up and down but looks to have only one serious hill and the last half is flat and if time is running short I might brave some rapids to cut off 4 KMs. Although it will be May so the water will be cold and high... The site is out on a point of land.

Day Two: 18km that starts off flat and easy and then gets crazy steep in places. I expect this will be a harder day than day one as it has several big climbs and some steep descents.the topography of today is why I haven`t considered moving the day one campsite a couple of kilometres closer. The site is on a small lake at the base of a steep hill.

Day Three: 14km with a 6 km option that is a must if I want my hardcore badge. Short and with one big climb if the option is passed on. The option is a three kilometre hike up to Silver Peak at 539 meters. No problem, I`ve done worse in the `dacks. With no water. On a hot day. Anyway, toss the heavy pack into the woods and go to the summit in a flick. Easy day. Camp on a small lake, near another campsite that is already reserved so we can all share our summit stories...

Day Four: 12km of constant up and down. Not big hills but some rugged looking terrain. Camp on a small lake.

Day Five: 14km one last hill and out to the George lake Campground for a shower and to put those beers I hid in the car on ice!

I think it looks like a good training hike, days one and two to cover some ground while you`re fresh and then days three to five to work on campsite routines.

No comments: