Monday, November 3, 2008

Pine Grove

First things first - despite the photo it wasn't very piney. As expected it was flat with a broad clear trail. More like a soft top road than a trail really.


Not really the best place for hiking but it is an excellent place for running. No traffic, nice soft ground to run on, quiet, lots of ridiculously friendly people (dog walkers mostly with a fair portion of runners). Even through it's technically a trail the broad flat surface disqualifies it as "trail running" IMHO. I didn't do all three loops as had I planned as a poor choice of socks left me with a heel blister and, quite frankly, it was kinda dull. Did I mention it was all flat all the time? No scenic views or wildlife to speak of either, too many dogs for the wildlife I guess.

So about the blister, one pair of loose hand knit wool socks was not a good idea. Yes, loose even on my size 12.5's. I think I'll either have to stick with the lightweight sock and a sock liner plan which has worked well in the past or maybe I just need to soak my feet in tea. I prefer to drink my tea but I read that soaking your feet in tea will make them tough and leathery therefore helping to prevent blisters.

In closing, sock liners and technical hiking socks can start off Ken's Christmas wish list.
(notice how I seamlessly slipped the sizing into the narrative above!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the same morning you were doing the not-so-piney Pine Grove, I drove out to Musquodoboit (after I realized that my 7am rising was actually a 6 am rising) and checked out the Gibraltar Loop. The web description
http://www.mta-ns.ca/Index.asp?inc=GibraltarLoop&s=Autumn
say its a steep climb so I wasn't worried about it being only 2 degs C.... it was only 100m but it felt like it was straight up and I was puffing and panting and sucking air hard.... it was worth it though. See the pics in the link at my name - spent some time playing with the camera and figuring out how to do those waterfall shots... had a lunch on the "in memory of.." bench. I was a short one but not a bad few hours overall .... There are other trails out there so I'll go back sometime .....

Anonymous said...

BTW - finally got the pics up from my 14 km day on the Indian Hill Loop near my home ....

Ken said...

Some hill work is a good idea. I`ll wait to comment on the photos. I`ve signed up at the Public Library to enhance my photo downloading/viewing capabilities.