Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Check it out!

filebox.vt.edu/users/wdickhan/

This is an awesome site IMO. No fluff, nothing over the top, very informative and interesting.

In the pics you`ll notice Bill has one piece of gear I really want - a good set of trekking poles. I have read that trekking poles can reduce the strain upon the knees by as much as 25%. I am presuming that would be when going downhill when the knees are under the most duress. In any case for a gimp like me good poles would appear to be a wise investment. Maybe I'll get fancy ones with a camera mount on top... and blackjack. and hookers. Forget the blackjack. and the
trekking poles...

http://search.mec.ca/?N=10&Ntt=trekking+poles&bmUID=1227140003170

Trekking poles are expensive. I guess the manufacturers figure they are one of those non-essential extras so people who buy them are just looking to spend money. Or maybe they have huge R&D budgets? I guess they have a point though. If you don't need lightweight yet durable shockabsorbing telescoping carbon fibre poles and ergonomically moulded grips you could just pick up a couple of sticks on the ground for free...

I have some snowshoe poles already. I think the only real difference is the basket. I could get some small trekking baskets and maybe rubber tips and then only the word "snowshoe" written down the side would give me away as the cheapskate I am. Of course my snowshoe poles were like $30 so they probably aren't as uber as actual trekking poles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

I have a set of poles (that came with my snowshoes btw - which I could probably use today - our 2nd snowstorm of the week!! about a foot this time) and although they aren't the ergonomically designed, shock absorbing wonders of modern technology that you can buy, they are great to have when you are starting to get a bit tired. I took them with me once or twice on a hike and, although early on when you have lots of energy they seem to be in the way and you are thinking "why did I take these with me", later in the day they are nice to have. My poles are a basic "Outbound" design - multi-purpose with the interchangeable tip for different terrain (pointed tip, rubber tip and snow basket) - I think the shock absorbing feature is as much for your wrists as anything else. I was in Coast Mountain Sports last night and there were several types of poles from the $30 a pair to $80 each range - the basic requirement is "poles" and after that its all fluff so I'd just stick with the snowshoe poles I guess.....either way, you gotta get used to just having them along first.......

Bill does have some interesting stuff on that website - that should help you plan the trip - he made good time!