Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Evil PC

Most people, some secretly some not, seem to want to be thought of as
an interesting person - or at least not boring. But have you ever told
someone they are interesting? I have and I always find the hesitant
reaction part curious and part sad.

Interesting is one of those words that Political Correctness has
ruined. Not quite as extreme a case as “special” but
“interesting” has still become a loaded word open to positive
or negative interpretation by the audience. I think this is both
unfortunate and illustrative.

The idea of Political Correctness was to make the use of negative words
shameful and therefore inhibit the spread of negative opinions. While
I’m sure the idea still has its adherents I think it has mostly
descended to a target of scorn. People have negative thoughts about
other people. If I have to call someone “interesting” instead of
“weird” all this does is cause confusion when I actual think
someone/something is interesting.

People are hard enough to understand without adding a layer of polite
(?) obfuscation to the language.

1 comment:

BEP said...

hmmmm ... that's intersting.

;^)