Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Part one of my thoughts on the trip home

I am disturbed by the proliferation of cabins/cottages. Rabbit Island has 8 cabins facing the mouth of the river and a spot cleared for a ninth! The last time I was fishing off Rabbit Island there were two small cabins tucked into the woods. The town still has a population in the 7-8000 range. I think it is symptomatic of the runaway consumption in our society. Same number of people, twice as many houses and 4 times as many cottages.

I think this is a large part of why outside of my parent's house HVGB doesn't feel like home anymore. I know the other half is that I have changed too.

We got out of town a bit, a boat ride up Goose Bay which was neat and a canoe trip on the Grand/Hamilton/Churchill River but I'll cover that in a later post. I didn't get everything done that I'd have liked. Visiting was almost nil as I took a few days to relax and the rest of the time just flew by.




This reflection I'd like to touch on Geocaching. I like it. My bro who mentioned it in comments here earlier as a new hobby introduced us to it on the drive in. Now I have to eat my previous words. I want a GPS because geocaching is fun. We used it to break up the long drive into HVGB and for anyone planning to do that trip or drive the loop when it gets completed (next year?) I highly recommend it. It really made the drive part of the holiday and not just a marathon to be endured.




1 comment:

bep_111 said...

Glad you enjoyed the geocaching!!