Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book update

In the book Bob makes the Camino sound pretty social. He has a regular cast of characters that he keeps meeting up with, passing them one day and getting passed by them on another only to meet them again a week later. This could be a problem. The Boss is a very congenial person and I occasionally get visions of us trekking from town to town with an assortment of cheerful English speakers trying to make a party of the whole thing. The whole being a Canadian thing is probably not going to help either.

Of course the same risk would probably apply to the AT to some degree.

As I'm getting on in the book and Bob is getting on in the trek I notice there are ever more references to blisters and leg aches and people dropping out or feeling plane ticket pressure. Blisters and achy knees I have accepted will just have to be part of the "fun". Dropping out is not an option for me since I don't expect to ever be able to go back. A period of rest might be required but not dropping out. This brings me to the last issue of plane ticket pressure. I need to figure out some way to avoid this that doesn't involve spending a lot of money on a last minute or open date plane ticket or the possibility of two weeks of hotel fees and meals.

Any suggestions?

No comments: