Thursday, June 4, 2009

A new deal?

I recently attended the cross Canada bike trip Ottawa contingent's one year reunion. It was good to see everyone again and hear what they have been doing in the almost year since we set off on our big ride. And also to share thoughts on the tour that have had nine months to percolate.

I am pleased to say that, in the main, our attitudes are still positive and the few negative issues are still there but softened. One of the riders is about to set off on a self supported circumnavigation of Lake Ontario which sounds like fun. Another spoke to me about his attempt this winter to hike the Camino pilgrimage in Spain. It too sounded like fun.

This has given me second thoughts about doing the AT in 2010. I’m thinking I want to look into the Camino. I nkow it wouldn’t take as long to do and therefore wouldn’t be as punishing financially (or physically) as the AT. In those respects it might also be a smarter progression than to do these hikes AT first and then Camino. (I had been thinking to do the Camino when I got older.)

It may come down to land. If I find the right piece of land this summer I could walk the Camino in February and March maybe a bit of April and still be back in time to plant in the spring - presuming I had cleared a good patch of ground in the fall. To do the AT I would have to plan to walk from February until August and then clear land in the Fall of 2010 to start farming in 2011. That added year is where the financially punishing comes in.

The rub is: if I do the Camino in 2010 and then start the farming when do I ever get to do the AT?

No comments: