Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Gats

I went on a day hike yesterday in Gatineau park with some of the boys. We went from Old Chelsea up to the King Mountain Loop. It was all climb to the Mountain but pretty easy going. Most of the trail was shared hiking-biking trail which means hard base and easy walking. Light packs and perfect weather also help make for a pleasant day. According to the string we did a total of about 14kms including wrong turns. We were out for about 4 hours so we were probably moving along at an average of about 4km hour if you factor in the stop on the escarpment for tea.

The park was beautiful with the fall colours and clear skies but that also means it was maggoty with people. Lots of people taking their little kids out to see the leaves, trail runners in singles and packs and a few mountain bikers. Fewer bikers than I expected actually. Here are a few pics:






It was a good day but I will need to find some more challenging terrain or pick longer routes. I would like to get in some long days of walking. And I probably should carry more stuff. Or maybe I`ll wait until next summer to do all that. For now I`ll focus on my trail following and map reading skills :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Sunday afternoon I spent about 3 hours outside Tantallon at a place called the Old Annapolis Hiking Trail - around Rafter Lake off the official trail - the first hour and a half was in the woods on old cut lines and trails covering what would have been about 1 km on the road. Some hills and varying terrain from gravel road to "where is that damn path through the woods?" Probably 5 to 7 kms in total. 3 guys were kayaking in the lake, other that that never saw a soul. I've got a lot of work to do if I'm going to cover 15kms a day with a load next Fall. Pics are here:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/567972417xcWBdR or click on my name.

Ken said...

You`ve got lots of time.